Angry and bitter residents of Gweru’s Mtapa high-density suburb and the relatives of a man who died in police custody on Saturday dumped his corpse near Monomutapa Police Station entrance where he was detained before being taken to a local hospital where he died.

Tatenda Kasinyore (28), known as “Nyale”, died on Wednesday while detained at the police station.

He had been arrested a day earlier for alleged disorderly conduct following a complaint by a fellow resident that he was being a nuisance and throwing stones at her house.

The residents and relatives are accusing police officers of having assaulted Kasinyore during his arrest.

Police fired teargas to displace mourners who had gathered outside the police station which is located along Gweru-Matobo Road.

“National police spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi said police were forced to intervene as residents were violating COVID-19 lockdown regulations.” He said:

Asst Comm Nyathi said Kasinyore died at Gweru Provincial Hospital in the early hours of Wednesday after being detained at Monomutapa Police Station.

“According to the COVID-19 regulations, funeral gatherings are limited to 30 people. So we discovered that the people who had gathered for the funeral were exceeding 30 and police had to disperse people.

On the other hand, we realised that there were some civil organisations and purported human rights activists who had taken advantage of the situation so, police had to maintain law and order.”

People in Mtapa called the police making a report of a person who was drunk and breaking window panes. The police arrested him and found him with drugs and he was drunk.

They detained him and put him in a holding cell at Monomutapa Police Station. At around 4 am, some suspects sharing the cell with him alerted the police that he was vomiting before an ambulance was called. He died at Gweru Provincial Hospital.

Asst Comm Nyathi said police were carrying out further investigations to establish what led to Kasinyore’s death.

Leave a Reply